Staffordshire wind farm plans finally rejected
Thursday, April 7 2011
Campaigners fighting controversial proposals to erect six 126-metre wind masts in Brineton are jubilant following South Staffordshire Council's decision to refuse the scheme.
Members of the local authority rejected the major planning application earlier this week (Tuesday, April 5) following years of concerted campaigning by the Stop Turbines Action Group (STAG) and UKIP West Midlands MEP Mike Nattrass.
The application was rejected amid concerns that Wind Prospects' scheme would have caused disruption to roads, would have had a considerable visual impact and would have spoilt the tranquility of the area.
Welcoming the decision, Tony Lendon, chairman of the STAG campaign, said: "The application was thrown out completely by South Staffordshire Council which is absolutely brilliant news.
"So much hard work has gone into our campaign against the wind farm. We wait now to see what Wind Prospect do - whether they drop their plans for good or whether they decide to appeal the council's decision.
"We have campaigned against these plans for years and I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported us," he added.
UKIP West Midlands MEP Mike Nattrass, said: "I welcome the council's decision. This is a victory for the environment, for villagers and for common sense.
"The case has always been strong against this wind farm. English Heritage itself stated the masts would have been detrimental to the views from Weston Park.
"Furthermore, it is clear that if you take away the subsidies wind farms simply would not be viable as they are cannot operate when it is too windy or on calm days."